Hwy 112 / Maple St: Razorback Rd to Garland Ave
What is this project?
This project focuses on widening Maple Street to four lanes from Razorback Road to Garland Ave.
The project will include:
- Construction of sidewalks on both sides of the road (width will vary from 5 ft. to 8 ft.)
- Construction of curb & gutter with stormwater inlets and pipes
- Installation of a new traffic signal at the intersection of Razorback Road & Maple Street
- Installation of a pedestrian hybrid beacon at an existing crosswalk on Maple Street
- Asphalt pavement overlay on Garland Avenue from Maple Street to North Street (Wedington Drive)
- Asphalt pavement overlay on Razorback Road from Leroy Pond Road to Maple Street
Why is it important?
This project will help alleviate traffic congestion on a major route used by students, professors & University staff during daily activities as well as for the general public attending athletic events, etc. This will also provide safer walkways for pedestrians.
What is the current status?
A Bid Opening was held at 2:00 p.m. on Friday, June 1, 2018. Nabholz Construction, Inc. was the low bidder at $2,793,590.50. On June 5th, the City Council approved awarding the contract to Nabholz Construction, Inc. The Notice to Proceed with construction on Monday, June 25th was issued to Nabholz.
When is completion expected?
The construction of this project will be phased due to it's location in the heart of the University and the football stadium. The first phase of road construction will be Stadium Drive and a portion of Maple Street either side of Stadium Drive. This phase will also include an asphalt overlay on Garland Ave from Maple Street to Wedington Drive/North St. This phase will be complete by August 30, 2018.
The second phase will begin immediately following Commencement in May 2019 and will be complete by August 12, 2019. This phase will reconstruct the Maple Street & Razorback Road intersection including traffic signalization, a portion of Razorback Road south of this intersection and reconstruction of Maple Street east of Stadium Drive to Garland Avenue. Razorback Road will also receive an asphalt overlay from Leroy Pond Drive north to the new construction of Razorback Road just south of the Maple Street intersection.
How was this project funded?
This is a partnering project between the City, the University and the ArDOT. It is funded by a combination of Federal-aid, State, City, and University dollars.