City Clerk Treasurer
The City Clerk office is a great source of information for both the general public and city staff. We are often the distribution center for information pertaining to current issues, events, and meetings. This office is the custodian of City records and maintains the City’s archives. Records in this office date back to the late 1800’s.
City Clerk Treasurer Sondra Smith has been an employee of the City of Fayetteville since 2002. She was appointed as City Clerk Treasurer in February 2003 and elected in 2004. A native of Northwest Arkansas she currently resides in west Fayetteville.
Sondra is a member of the International Institute of Municipal Clerks (IIMC) and the Arkansas City Clerks, Recorders, & Treasurers Association (ACCRTA). She served as an ACCRTA officer for four years. She is a Certified Arkansas Municipal Clerk and a Certified Municipal Clerk by the International Institute of Municipal Clerks.
Some of the primary duties of the City Clerk are:
- Attend all regular and special City Council meetings, and prepare the City Council Agendas and Minutes for the official minute record book
- Directly supervise the development and implementation of record retention policies and procedures in accordance with State law
- Maintain a current listing of the City boards and committees, advertise for vacancies, and schedule interviews for vacancies
- Maintain the City Code of Ordinances
- Maintains the Policy and Procedure manual for City policies and coordinates updates to City policies
- Provides Notary service
- Provides support for the City Council
- Responsible for the coordination of City elections with the Election Commission
- Schedule meetings for various City meeting rooms and provide notification to staff and the public of these meetings
- Serves as ex-officio secretary and a voting member to Firemen’s Pension and Relief Fund Board of Trustees and Treasurer and a voting member of the Policemen’s Pension and Relief Fund Board of Trustees. Attends the meetings and prepares the agendas, minutes, and appropriate correspondence for the Board Members