In February of 2020, the Fayetteville City Council established Article X of the Code of Ordinances for the City of Fayetteville. Article X outlines the permitting of Pedal Carriages in the City of Fayetteville, established their zone of operation, and sets requirements such as insurance. Pedal Carriages will begin operation in Downtown Fayetteville on June 24, 2021.
Zone of Operation
The map below outlines the area of operation Pedal Carriages are allowed to operate in. Pedal Carriages are not allowed to operate on trails. Alcohol may only be consumed and possessed on Pedal Carriages within the Outdoor Refreshment Area Boundary using the proper cup and wrist band.
Alcohol Consumption and Possession on Pedal Carriages
Pedal Carriages cannot serve alcohol under any circumstances.
- All alcoholic beverages consumed and possessed on Pedal Carriages must be purchased from a participating ORA business.
- The Pedal Carriages cannot leave the boundary of the Outdoor Refreshment Area's Open Consumption District with alcoholic beverages.
- All alcoholic beverages consumed and possessed on Pedal Carriages must be within a designated ORA cup and the patron must be wearing an ORA wristband.
Arkansas Code 5-71-218 establishes the Arkansas Law for possession of open containers containing alcohol in a motor vehicle. Specifically, section 4 states:
(4) By a passenger in the motor vehicle, but not the driver, as long as the open alcoholic beverage container is possessed within the living quarters of the motor vehicle or the area of the motor vehicle that is designated for passengers only, the open alcoholic beverage container is not readily accessible to the driver of the motor vehicle, and the motor vehicle is:
- (A) Designed, maintained, or used primarily for the transportation of persons for compensation; or
- (B) A recreational vehicle, motor home, or house trailer.”
A barrier has been added to the Pedal Carriages operating in Fayetteville to satisfy this provision of Arkansas Code 5-71-218.