Commercial Projects


A Commercial Building Permit application is required to:

  • Alter, demolish, enlarge, move, or repair a building
  • Change the occupancy of a building or part of a building
  • Construct a new building
  • Construct a retaining wall over four (4) feet high

Review Requirements

Building Safety Division

The Building Safety Division will review a permit for conformance to the International Building Code, including the National Electric Code, Arkansas Energy Code, Arkansas Fire Prevention Code, Arkansas Mechanical Code, Arkansas Plumbing and Gas Code, and the Fayetteville City Code. The Arkansas Fire Prevention Code can be ordered from the International Code Council online.

You may contact the Commercial Permit Coordinator at 479-575-8238 should you need further assistance.

Engineering Division

The Engineering Division will review building permit applications for compliance with the City's regulation of development, flood damage prevention, physical alteration of land, stormwater management, drainage and erosion control, and street and sidewalk specifications. You may contact the Engineering Coordinator at 479-575-8206.

Fire Marshal

The Fire Marshal will review all nonresidential building permit applications, as well as review all sprinkler drawings and inspect installations. Fire Code forms needed for commercial projects Fire Code Plan Review Checklist and Fire Code Review Sheet. You may contact the Fire Marshal at 479-444-3448 or

Planning Division

The Planning Division will review all building permit applications for conformance to all zoning and development regulations as required by the City of Fayetteville Unified Development Code, the Planning Commission, or City Council before a building permit application will be approved. You may contact the Planning Division at 479-575-8267.

Sidewalk Administrator

The Sidewalk Administrator will review building permit applications for sidewalk requirements and construction of parking lots containing five (5) parking spaces or more. You may contact the Sidewalk Administrator at 479-575-8206.

Recycling and Trash Collection Division

The Recycling and Trash Collection Division will review building permit applications for compliance with the city's service and access regulations. You may contact the Recycling and Trash Collection Division at 479-575-8398.

Urban Forester

The Urban Forester will review building permit applications for compliance with the tree preservation and landscape regulations of the Unified Development Code. You may contact the Urban Forester at 479-444-3486 and 479-444-3470.