Town and Gown Advisory Committee
The Town and Gown Advisory Committee was created by Ordinance 5511 on July 3, 2012. On February 5, 2013 Ordinance 5564 was passed to amend the structure of the City and University appointments. On October 3, 2017 Ordinance 6001 was passed to amend the scope of the committee’s duties; to redefine the membership; and reduce the number of required meetings. Ordinance 6178 passed on April 16, 2019 to amend the composition to add the President of the University of Arkansas Graduate Professional Student Congress as a member. Ordinance 6196 passed on July 2, 2019 amending the ordinance to expand opportunities for Fayetteville Residents to serve on city boards, commissions and committees.
The Committee shall be a forum for collaboration between the City of Fayetteville and the University of Arkansas on mutually relevant issues including, but not limited to, capital projects; transportation and traffic; infrastructure planning; neighborhoods; cultural and community engagement; safety; fire; and security. The committee is empowered only to advise and make recommendations on a periodic basis to both the City Council and the University of Arkansas on such issues, and to adopt rules for the conduct of its own business.
To view previous meeting video, click on the link below and scroll down to "Government Meeting Archives": Meeting Videos.
Members appointed by the City Council shall serve a two year term. Members appointed by the Mayor, with the exception of the City Council member appointed by the Mayor, shall serve at the pleasure of the Mayor. Members appointed from the University of Arkansas shall serve for such period as to be determined by the University.
The Town and Gown Advisory Committee shall be comprised of thirteen (13) voting members, consisting of the following:
- Two (2) permanent co-chairs, one of which shall be selected by the Mayor and one of which shall be selected by the Chancellor
- One (1) member of the City Council appointed by the Mayor
- One (1) University of Arkansas student living off campus appointed by the Mayor
- Two (2) members shall be residents at large from different wards appointed by the City Council
- One (1) member shall be the Associated Student Government President
- Two (2) Communications Directors, or their equivalents, of the City and the University
- One (1) representative of the University Facilities Management Department appointed by the Chancellor
- One (1) representative of the City Development Services Department appointed by the Mayor
- One (1) Superintendent of Fayetteville Public Schools or his/her designee
- One (1) Graduate Professional Student Congress President
City of Fayetteville vacancies are filled by appointment from the governing body of the City.
A weekly meetings list is prepared by the City Clerk office which is distributed to the press and posted on the home page.
Time: 3:00 p.m.
Date: 4th Monday, Quarterly
- Mark Kinion
City Council Representative
- Zane Colvin
University of Arkansas Student
Living off Campus
- Annie Dowling
Community Citizen at Large
- Jack Avery
Community Citizen at Large
- Lauren Loften
Associated Student Government President
- Dana McGee
President of Graduate Professional Student Congress
- Megan Duncan
Superintendent, Fayetteville Public Schools
- Susan Norton
Co-Chair Mayor Appointment Chief of Staff
- Laura Jacobs
Co-Chair Chancellor Appointment
Chief of Staff
- Lisa Thurber
Director of Communications and Marketing
- Jonathan Curth
Director of Development Services
- Mark Rushing
Assistant Vice Chancellor University Relations
- Scott Turley
Interim Associate Vice Chancellor for Facilities