FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 26, 2018
Contact: Chris Brown
Section of Old Wire Road Near Township to Close for Seven Days, 24/hrs. Day
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark.— Old Wire Road, from Overcrest Street to Elmwood Drive will be close for 24 hours a day, seven days a week, from 6 a.m. on Monday July 30 through 8 a.m. on Monday, August 6. Suggested detour routes will be marked.
Please use extreme caution when in the work area and watch for personnel and equipment.
This construction is part of a multi-phase improvement project along Old Wire Road. Improvements from Ash Street to Gulley Park include:
- 9.5-foot-wide, two-way protected bike lane, separated from the roadway by a 4-foot-wide stamped concrete median, approximately .88 miles in length (east side of Old Wire Road)
- 5-foot-wide sidewalk (east of bike lane, adjacent to residences)
- Street and sidewalk lighting
- New traffic light signals, including a dedicated bicycle lane signal, at intersection of Old Wire Road and Township Street
- Installation of a signalized pedestrian crossing at Stanton Avenue (High intensity Activated crossWalK (HAWK) or Pedestrian Hybrid Beacon)
- Asphalt overlay of the northbound lane from Ash Street to Gulley Park parking lot
- Stormwater improvements, including a new pre-cast box culvert and additional drainage improvements along Old Wire Road, Overcrest Street, and Niokaska Creek.
The protected bike lane design is a prototype model, the first in Fayetteville, and may be used across Northwest Arkansas in the future. Information about completed Old Wire Road Improvement Project phases and the Ash Street to Gulley Park phase, currently under construction, can be found at www.fayetteville-ar.gov/oldwireroad.
To view more information about this and other road and lane closures or to sign up for notifications of closures, please visit this webpage.