How do I start a Small Claims action?

If you are filing a Small Claims action, you are called the plaintiff. If you have been sued, you are called the defendant. To start an action, you must fill out a Complaint Form, which you can acquire at the District Court. This form explains whom you are suing, for how much money, and why you are claiming the money. You must bring the completed form to the Court Clerk's office or fill it out while at the Court. The form must include the defendant's complete address, the amount you are seeking, and a brief statement of why the amount is owed. The defendant will be sent a copy of your complaint by certified mail, unless you request service by the Sheriff's Office or private process server. It is your responsibility to provide the Court with a good address with which to obtain service.

Show All Answers

1. Who can use the Small Claims Court?
2. Do I need a lawyer in Small Claims Court?
3. How do I start a Small Claims action?
4. How long may I wait before filing my Small Claim?
5. What if the defendant does not file a written answer within 30 days?
6. What should I do to get ready for trial?